Find answers to our most frequently asked questions below.
If you can’t find the answer to what your looking for, feel free to contact us!

  • All FAQs
  • General
  • Rent
  • Build
  • Supports
  • Expression of Interest (EOI)

What is the NDIS?

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for Australians with disability, their families and carers.

The NDIS will provide about 460,000 Australians under the age of 65 with a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to live an ordinary life.

As an insurance scheme, the NDIS takes a lifetime approach, investing in people with disability early to improve their outcomes later in life.

More information can be found at:

Who are Ability SDA?

Ability SDA are an approved NDIS provider specialising in specialist disability accommodation. The directors of Ability SDA have extensive experience in the aged care, retirement and more recently the disability sectors.

What is SDA?

One of the supports that may be funded for some participants who have an extreme functional impairment or very high support needs is Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA). SDA refers to accommodation for people who require specialist housing solutions, including assisting with the delivery of supports that cater for their extreme functional impairment or very high support needs. From 1 July 2016, eligible participants will have SDA funding included in their plan enabling them to source the SDA they require and choose from the market.

SDA funding is for the dwelling itself, and is not intended to cover support costs (such as Supported Independent Living), which are assessed and funded separately by the NDIS. For further information refer to:

How do I access SDA funding?

SDA funding is assessed by the NDIA on an individual basis; you also need to be a NDIS participant. Speak with your planner, support coordinator or local area coordinator about your housing goals and options.

I don’t qualify for SDA, how do I get accessible housing?

If you have an NDIS Plan, but don’t meet the requirements for SDA/Informing Housing Solutions, you can still get help with housing. If you require home modifications to your existing home, you can talk to your planner or LAC about what you need. You can also ask your planner or LAC about how to get some assistance about exploring your housing options.

People who live in areas that haven’t yet transitioned to the NDIS should use their existing supports to explore housing, or find a housing worker through a local agency to help them.

What is the rent contribution towards the apartment?

Rent will be set at 25% of the basic disability support pension plus 100% of commonwealth rent assistance. Tenants will also be required to pay for all utilities and food.

How do I pay rent?

Rent can be paid electronically via direct debit or a periodic payment.

Can I have a pet?

Yes – the landlord allows pets within reason, and subject to approval.

Can I smoke in my apartment?

Smoking is permitted outdoors only.

Can I have another person move in with me?

Your lease will stipulate that only the participant can permanently occupy the apartment. Within this framework you will be able to have visitors stay (for extended periods) at your discretion. The NDIA is currently reviewing their policy in regard to cohabitation and we hope to see some modified legislation around this issue soon. For more information please contact us.

Are there sprinklers?

All Ability Apartments are fitted with fire sprinklers.

What is the safety and fire plan for apartment living?

It is a requirement in NSW that a fire and safety evacuation plan is posted publicly in all new buildings. Each tenant will have an individual evacuation plan tailored to their situation.

How do you exit the building in a fire situation or process for being trapped in a lift?

All residents will follow their fire and safety evacuation plan that is posted publicly within the building. Technology will assist to maintain communication with support staff during emergencies.

What are the types of home and building modifications?

Modifications will need to be considered and included on a case-by-case basis.

Do I need to take out insurance?

The landlord will pay for building insurance. It is advisable for you to take out contents insurance to protect against the loss or damage of your personal possessions.

How do I give feedback or report an incident?

Feedback or complaints can be made via our website . If your feedback relates to the building operations you can contact the Property Manager directly. Feedback relating to support can be provided directly to the SIL provider.

Do Ability SDA provide personalised support?

Ability SDA does not provide the support. They are the accommodation (building) provider only.

What type of 24/7 support do I receive?

Shared overnight support will be provided by the appointed Supported Independent Living (SIL) provider as needed. Any daytime supports are the tenants own choice.

Who will be the Supported Independent Living (SIL) service provider?

For each building, Ability SDA appoint a SIL provider with extensive experience and a passion to assist people to live independently. The appointed SIL provider will have an initial 2-year contract. At the conclusion of the 2-year period all residents within the building will have input as to the renewal of the SIL provider.

Can I employ my own supports?

Yes, with the exception of the overnight Supported Independent Living (SIL) support. As answered previously these supports are shared across the tenant group and provided by one SIL provider. But tenants are free to employ the daytime supports of their choice.

Who is managing the Expression of Interest (EOI) process?

Ability SDA has appointed Summer Foundation to manage the EOI process.

What are the eligibility and suitability requirements?

Eligibility and suitability requirements are listed on our eligibility page.

Do I share all my support with other tenants?

No, only the overnight support will be shared.

When will I know the outcome of my application?

Once the EOI form is received by Ability SDA we will evaluate the applicant’s suitability and respond usually within a few days to a week.